- Head Mrs Claire Tao
Visitors to Merchant Taylors’ Girls’ School regularly comment on the extraordinary warmth which emanates from the relationships between staff and pupils.
Our single-sex environment actively encourages the girls to express themselves, seek help if needed, practise leadership skills and always strive to fulfil their full potential. Although our exam results consistently top the Merseyside and North West leader boards, we know that exceptional results aren’t just what we want our girls to leave us with.
We encourage the girls to develop self-discipline, personal responsibility and a clear moral code, but at the same time we value kindness, friendliness, generosity and a respect for others.
We pride ourselves on our pastoral system which is based on a traditional structure of four small form groups within each year. These are led by Heads of Year and supported by our School Nurse, Pastoral Counsellors and Student Peer Mentors.
Our charity record is as impressive as our enrichment programme is extensive. We have an exciting calendar of dramatic and musical events throughout the year. Joint productions with the Senior Boys’ School less than a mile away are always well attended by the local community, and drama festivals, choral concerts, recitals and master classes all create opportunities for performers to showcase their talent.
A motivational PE department encourages girls to participate and excel in a range of sports, and we dominate the local leagues alongside competing at county and national level. Other extracurricular activities include:
- Duke of Edinburgh Awards (Bronze, Silver and Gold)
- Combined Cadet Force (CCF)
- Harrison Group for Gifted and Talented pupils
- A rich music department which runs a Saturday morning music school, annual music tours abroad, a Chamber choir, a Senior orchestra, a Chamber orchestra, school music competitions, jazz/flute/string/clarinet ensembles, a cello quartet, individual instrumental lessons and provides plenty of opportunity to perform throughout the year.
- Various trips abroad for most subjects, including Geography trips to Iceland, Classics trips to Greece, Biology trips to South America and many sports tours.Our all-round activities are designed to develop well-rounded individuals – caring, confident citizens who ‘learn by doing’ and in doing so have fun!
- Age range 4 - 18
- Day / Boarding Day
- Religious affiliation Christian non-denominations
- 14+ GCSE
- 16+ A Level, Extended Project Qualification (EPQ)
- Fees (per term) September 2019 - August 2020
- £2,294 per term
- £3,911 per term
- £3,911 per term
- Find out more about fees >
Bursaries & Scholarships
Merchant Taylors’ School is able to provide financial assistance with fees for pupils whose parents/guardians could not otherwise afford a place at the Senior School.
The provision of means-tested bursaries is a central part of the purpose of the School’s aim to assist academically able girls, whatever their financial circumstances and to broaden access to our School.
We do not receive any Government funding for our bursary programme; instead it is funded through the generosity of donors and though the School’s investments.
Our donors come from many walks of life and from all over the world, yet they all have a Merchant Taylors’ connection in common.
The number of bursary places available each year depends entirely on the generosity of our donors, and any amount given, large or small, contributes to creating opportunities for our pupils.
Bursaries are awarded up to 100% of fees, depending on the family’s financial circumstances. There are bursaries available for entry into our Senior School at Year 7 and into the Sixth Form at Year 12.
All bursaries are means-tested and are underpinned by a rigorous review process. The School utilises an external company to conduct independent financial reviews of successful applications.
This will involve each family having a compulsory home visit to review financial circumstances and will result in a confidential report to the School with a recommendation on the level of award.Find out more >
- Bursaries for new entrants
- Music scholarships
- Sibling discounts
- Sixth Form scholarships
- Sport scholarships
Disclaimer: Data is provided by the school, the GSA is not responsible for inaccuracies.